The number one sin struggle for most Christian men is sexual temptation. You’ve heard the old saying … “Failing to plan is planning to fail.” Well, that is especially true when it comes to sexual temptation/sin. Christian men need a personal purity battle plan (especially those of us with a background of sexual/porn addiction). I recently updated my personal purity battle plan to better protect myself and I want to share it with you guys to give you a launching pad to develop your own. Here it is …
- Every morning read or listen to God’s truth and spend some time in prayer.
- Every morning commit your heart, mind, and body to the Lord.
- Every morning check-in with your accountability partner via text message.
- Everyday track your sobriety.
- Once per week review your personal purity battle plan and your personal purity motivation.
- Throughout your day, stay focused and full on the things of God: review Scripture – listen to good music, podcasts, or audio books – talk/text with godly friends/mentors.
- Every week attend your weekly support/accountability group.
- Every week attend church.
- Keep all internet devices monitored by Covenant Eyes and restricted with a password that you don’t know.
- Avoid being home alone and bored (isolation). When feeling tempted, don’t be home alone at all. Go public.
- Stay consistent and disciplined with physical exercise and healthy eating habits. Discipline and self-control in every area of your life matters to your success.
- Avoid music that contains sexual content.
- Avoid movies/TV that contains sexual content and/or crude perverted humor.
- Avoid social media apps that tempt. Get rid of them if they’re triggers.
- Avoid fitness/men’s magazines.
- Don’t stay up late and watch TV or browse the web when alone.
- When traveling and lodging alone, let your accountability partners know, and have them check on you
- Don’t watch TV when traveling and lodging alone. Cover the TV with a blanket, and watch whatever you want on your computer or iPhone because those are monitored by Covenant Eyes.
- Bounce your eyes away from tempting images and females or completely flee the area where temptation is messing with you. If it keeps messing with you, immediately reach out to one of your accountability partners.
- Look women in the eyes, and if they’re dressed provocatively … bounce your eyes away or completely flee the area.
- Don’t talk or joke about crude and perverted things.
- Don’t meet alone with a female unless it’s in a public place. Always have a third-party present.
- Don’t talk, text, email, Facetime, Skype, etc. with any females who you don’t know … and if you do know them, then always keep your wife in the loop.
- Don’t flirt with females, and if they flirt with you … disengage and completely flee the area.
- Other than your wife and daughters, don’t touch females beyond a side hug.
- When feeling down, anxious, angry, stressed, lonely, sick, or under spiritual attack … reach out to your accountability partners and friends. Those things are major internal triggers. Don’t battle any of that on your own. Don’t isolate. Get connected, counseled, encouraged, and prayed for.
- Continually evaluate your life and technology, and if there’s anything that might trigger you to sin … immediately eliminate it!
- Strive to keep yourself well rested with adequate sleep, relaxation, and recovery time because when you’re sick and rundown from work or ministry, you’re much more susceptible to temptation.
- Avoid “edging” behaviors.
- Stay focused on the mission that God has given you.
- If you slip up, immediately come clean about it with your accountability partners.
- Never give-up the fight for personal purity/integrity.
E-143: Battling Sexual Lust – THE GRIZ PODCAST
Protect yourself and your family with Covenant Eyes Internet Accountability and Filtering. Go to www.CovenantEyes.com to sign up and use the promo code “grizzin” at checkout to get the first 30-days completely free.
Rove Coffee – organizing, fair trade, freshly roasted, and promptly shipped. Go to www.RoveCoffee.com to order a bag and use the promo code “grizzin” at checkout to get 20% off your first order.
Contact Jason = Jason@narrowtrail.com
Become a monthly supporter of The GRIZ Podcast for just $10 per month – www.narrowtrail.com/give